|THE HISTORY OF ST NICHOLAS CHURCH BISHOPS SUTTON|
St Nicholas’ church has a nave of 55ft 6 ins long and 20ft wide and a chancel which comprises of many different dates of construction, with its walls being over 3ft thick and are probably of Norman origin. The arch that separates the chancel from the nave was rebuilt around the 13th century. The walls are made up of flint rubble mixed with some Roman brick and originally would have had a covering of exterior plaster.
The roof is supported by large oak beams and at the west end of the nave there is an oak frame that supports the bell tower. Though the roof is tiled it is believed that it may have once been thatched or had wooden shingles.
THE NORTH DOORWAY
The font is unusually high and stands by the south door, it is 18th century and replaces the original one. During 1807, the Rev William Bingley who was curate of Christchurch described the original font as “the ancient font (now thrown aside) is octagonal on a stand of niche work: the modern one, a clumsy square basin, on a cylindrical pedestal”. The wooden cover was donated in 1940 by the Mothers Union.
A decorated window in the west wall that is of 14th century origin and above it is a narrow lancet that gives light to the second stage of the belfry.
There are also signs of a gallery built in the late 18th century on the posts supporting the bell tower, which provided seating for the Waight family and William Faichen held a school here.
There were three bells cast c1500, 1600 and 1672 that hung here until the end of the 19th century, the earlier one inscribed “Sancta Thoma ora pro nobis” (St Thomas pray for us”, and was obviously evidence of pilgrims that journeyed here in the past, the church being on the Pilgrims way from Winchester to Canterbury. The bells were re-cast in 1893 by Mr Arthur Yates in celebration of his horse, Cloister, in the Grand National. The bells were also re-hung in memory of a Mr C. E. Padwick.
It was in 1660 that the setting up of the Royal Arms in churches was brought into being and above the north door is the coat of arms for William III and dated 1700 when he reigned alone, it motto reading “Je main tien dray” (I will maintain the right). The shield of Nassau which is a lion rampant on a billeted background can be seen over the centre.
There is a widely splayed lancet window at the east end of the south wall of the nave and this was added during the 13th century, the piscina in the sill suggests that extra light was needed to illuminate a side altar.
The capitals of the chancel arch have a decoration of chevrons and are similar to those of the south doorway those supporting the idea they are of the same date, The slightly pointed arch indicates reconstruction had been carried out during improvements in the chancel.
The south wall has a single trefoiled lancet and to the east of it a trefoiled piscina with three drains. Probably the two outer drains are the original and this reflects the 13th century practice and that the middle drain superseded the pair. Also on the south wall is a small doorway where the priest entered the chancel and west of this is a widely splayed 14th century window.
A blocked squint can be found to the left of a trefoiled lancet on the north wall, which would have given a view of the high altar from the side chapel or vestry which was once attached to the north wall of the chancel.
The Communion rail which separates the sanctuary dates from the 17th century and within the sanctuary there is a small oak credence table of the same era.
On the north wall of the chancel is the brass war memorial which remembers those of the village who gave their lives in both world wars and below is another for the Korean War.
Jane Venables 1727, who was owner of Western Court is also remembered here as well as tablets to the Waight and Yates families. There is also a tablet to Dr Cowper who “ruined his constitution by sever labour” and died of overwork, is found on the south wall.