The church, which dates from Saxon times
still retains some pre-conquest works, an internal doorway
leading to the vestry, two pilaster strips on the north and south
outer walls of the nave near the east end, and some long and
short stonework in the north east quoin of the nave.
In the 13th century the church seems to have been rebuilt,
preserving the shape and dimensions of the earlier saxon building.
A priests door on the south of the chancel, the sedilla (priests
seat) within the altar rails, and the double piscina, with a
recess at the back, date from that period. It is probable that
the chancel was restored and the stonework retooled in the early
The nave was rebuilt in 1880, but apart from the addition of a
small vestry at the north west corner, the original plan was
adhered to. The mediaeval church would not have needed a vestry,
the books and vestments being kept in a box under the altar, and
the priest entering by the chancel door.
The pulpit is largely Jacobean, whilst the robust door leading to
the vestry was given as the inscription shows, by Nicholas Lacey
in 1643, the year of the Battle of Cheriton The baluster altar rails are late 17thC and were added to the
church in 1949. There are marble monuments to the families Stewkeley, Stawell, and Dutton, and brasses to the memory of the
Stewkeley family. Two large monuments on the south wall were
moved from Laverstoke church on its demolition in 1952.
The Timber bell turret, typical of small churches in this part of
England, carries three bells. Two of them date from 1603 and are
inscribed "Serv God" and "Fere God" with the
founders initials J.W. standing for John Wallis of the Salisbury
foundry. The tenor bell is dated 1619 inscribed "My hope is
in God" with some letters reversed and inverted. It is
credited to John Higden an itinerant and one time foreman of the
Reading foundry, and may well have been a mediaeval bell recast
on the site.
The church has sustained many alterations over the centuries.
Lord Sherbome in his book "A Hampshire Manor" said that
as sad as the loss of the original nave is the loss of the
The entrance into which they were thrust had been sealed over
without trace. The mystery was solved in 1970, during the removal
of the underfloor heating. A stone near the altar now marks the
entrance. At this time other improvements which included removal
of pews from the chancel, and relaying the floor with flagstones
took place. New stained glass windows designed by Patrik
Reyntiens were installed depicting a quotation from Exodus XI 11: