The Chancel and Nave together with the Bell
Tower of wood. formed the medieval church (c1170). The first
recorded lector was Giles the Englisman who 'began his ministry
on 1st January 1289. The Porch, South Transept and Vestry were
added in the late 19th century.
The structure of the walls of the Chancel and Nave were mainly
flint rubble with stone dressing to the windows, whilst the walls
are rendered, with a variety of mixes.
Thomas Dumford in the Eighteenth century, Rector for 51 years
from 1741-1792, wrote that "he found the church little
changed since Giles the Englishman "began his
ministry in 1289".
In the South Transept and Vestry, the walls are dressed with
split flint on the outside with quoins of stone dressing to the
On the 8th November 1918, the Parish Church of Bramdean was
joined with All Saints Church, Hinton Ampner, and on 6th
September 1974, St.Andrew's Church, Kilmeston
joined the Benefice, which has continued to the present.
The Altar table is early 17th century The Credence table,
on the South side of the sanctuary was made : from parts of the
17th century altar rails, which were :
removed during a period of restoration. The present Communion
rails were placed in 1894 in memory of Louisa F.K.Bishop, wife of
the Rev A.C.Bishop (Rector from 18661885). The three
windows to St.Matthew & St.Mark (on the North) and St. Luke (on
the South) are dedicated to the Rev. William Gomm, who died after
"being Rector for 38 years, and his family. They were placed
in 1863 "by General Sir William Gomm, GCB. Probably the
oldest monument existing in the church is a small "brass
on the South choir stalls which (when the Latin is translated)
reads "Here lies Maria Travers wife of Thomas Travers who
died on the 27 May 1693". The choir stalls
are dated 1911.
The roof is a very old trussed rafter roof. The Font is modern of
13th century style. The entrance door- way and Chancel Arch were
part of the medieval church. The front Door is old, being made of
two thicknesse's of board with strap hinges and a wooden lock case.
The pulpit was replaced in 1972 by a carved oak linenfold pulpit
which came from a redundant church of St. Barnabas, Silverton.
Of the windows, the large lower West window is 15th century.
Unhappily, the stained glass was damaged by bombing in the 1939-45
War replaced by plain glass in 1949. The two other windows in the
North wall are dedicated to Honora Legge 1861 and Field Marshall
Sir William Gomm 1875. Also on the North wall is a list of
Rectors from 1289 to the present, and a chart of the graves in
The Lectern, in American white oak, was given to the church in
January 1990 by the then Rector, Humphrey Llewelyn in memory of
his wife Margaret. The relief carved roundels in the base include
her initials and symbolic emblems; it was made by a Bramdean
craftsman.. A New International Version Bible sits on the lectern,
in memory of the said Humphrey Llewelyn (who died in 1991).
THE BELL TOWER
It is carried, on the West wall of the church, and, on, a wooden
'beam spanning the nave. There are two 'bells, without any'
inscription, date or weight. Although it is "believed that
that the tower was part of the original 12th century church, it
has "been rebuilt at least twice. The last time was 1955 by R.G. Crockford. of
Cheriton, and the "bells were rehung to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elisabeth II.
This was added to the church c1877, though it may "be older
since two stone tablets on the West wall are dated 1857 &
1863. The West window is dedicated to the memory of William Cowper-Coles, a Rector, and. dated 1867. On the ledge is a War
Memorial list of parishioners, with 23 names from the 1914 War,
and 6 names from the 1939 War. The actual War Memorial stands on
the side of the A272 road. (towards Hinton).
This was built at the same time as the Transept. It was formerly
the Organ Chamber. Now the church boasts a modern Alien
A list of benefactors between 1675 & 1766, and three pictures
of the church are hung here. One 1835 shows the South aspect
before the transept was added.
Many of the older graves to the South and. West have been
levelled, but the record, is preserved on the above mentioned
chart. On the East wall of the church outside, traces of Norman
windows can be seen either side of the present East window. Also
on the South side of the Nave outside, a trace of an original
window can be discerned. There are two fine 18th century
Renaissance table tombs on the left of the entrance path; and two
more behind the church.
The Lych Gate was erected c1894 in memory of Mrs.L.F.K. Bishop.
She, the widow of the Rector who built the "Church in the
Wood" on Bramdean Common, endowed it
in her will. The proceeds, currently invested, are used for
maintenance of that church.