The Church of All Saints
All Saints' was built in 1880 on half an acre of land donated by William Griffin
Snr. of Yew Tree Farm, Southwick Road. The architects were Messrs S Fowler and
CR Pink, and the contract was awarded to Walter Hensman Bros. ofHomcastIe,
Lincolnshire at an estimated cost of £1539. The foundation stones in the east
wall were laid on 1 June 1880 by Colonel Butler of Bury Lodge, Hambledon and Dr
Thomas .White, Vicar of Hambledon. 400 tons of flint, to be used in the
construction, was donated by four local fanners. The church was consecrated on
22 November 1880 by the Lord Bishop of Winchester. The first Vicar was the
Reverend FC Green, who served for fifty years in Denmead. The original building
faces due east - west. Vestries were added in 1959, but were demolished in 1996
as part of th® extension project.
In August 1996 work started on a major extension to designs by Ralph Ball R1BA,
which rotates the principal focus to the north. The main contractor was
Richardsons of Nyewood, Petersfield, who completed the project for £226,783. The
foundation stone in the north wall was laid by the Bishop of Portsmouth on
Saturday 2 November 1996, the day following All Saints' Day, and the extended
Church was consecrated, also by the Bishop of Portsmouth, on Sunday 4 May 1997.
The flints used on the west and north walls of the extension were salvaged from
the north wall of the original church. Many of the tiles on the east elevation
of the Extension were signed by parishioners.
The only object of any antiquity in the church is the font. It is from the
14th or 15th
century, and was originally the font of St Peter & St Paul Hambledon, the
church of All Saints'.
During the restoration of Hambledon church in the
1870's it was removed to make way for a new font in memory of the Reverend
Thomas Patteson: In 1880 the ancient font was rescued from Hambledon
churchyard, cleaned and presented to All Saints' where it was used for the
first christening on 8th May 1891.
Parish records show that in April 1907 it was agreed that a screen should
be placed between the original Chancel and Nave. In 1910 a design by W
Kitchen was adopted, and the screen was built. It has a memorial plaque to
Ellen Cordery who is described as a 'most liberal benefactor', and to her
mother Mary Ann Lashley. Installation of the oak reredos behind the
original altar was agreed in 1911. In June 1917 it was decided that a
crucifix should be placed on the Chancel screen.
|All Saints' is fortunate to have a fine collection of Victorian and
Edwardian stained glass, as well as Alan Younger' s outstanding example of
modem work. Original Chancel, now the Chapel of Healing and Unity - The
east window, showing Our Lord in Glory, is in memory of George Thomas
Gamett who died in 1886. It was made by Maycr & Co of Munich & London.
1912 many years before either of them died - the Reverend FC Green's
children presented the window in the Sanctuary to their parents memory,
depicting The Charge to St Peter.
The other window in the Chance!, showing
the Blessing of the Children, was erected by public subscription in memory
of Thomas Taylor, Denmead's Schoolmaster for 36 years, and first Secretary
of the Church. Both these windows were made by the renowned Clayton & Bell
Original Nave - Opposite the main
door, in a restored window opening, which used to be the door to the 1959
Vestry, is a memorial window to William Griffin Snr, the farmer who gave the
land on which All Saints' stands. He was 78 years old when the original church
was built, and died in 1883. This window shows the Walk to Emmaus and The
Ascension, and has been moved from its original position in the north east
corner of the original Nave.
The Clayton & Bell windows depicting Zacharias and
Elizabeth, above the Font in the West wall, commemorate Gertrude Arbuthnot who
died in 1918; she was the daughter of the Reverend FC Green. In preparation for
the installation of the organ, they were moved from their original position in
the centre of the South wall in 1998 as a memorial to the parents of two
parishioners. The window closest to the door is the village war memorial. It was
resolved in April 1917 that a window be erected at the end of the First World
War "to the memory of those who have fallen". This Clayton & Bell window,
representing Christ's Resurrection, was restored in 1997 and moved from its
original position in the centre of the north wall to its present position in the
Either side of the window are the memorial brasses to the dead of
two World Wars- George Cleeve's name was added to the World War I plate in 1995
by his descendants. His family could not at first accept that
he was dead, and would not permit his name to be included on the original
monument. It is normal to find village war memorials where four times as many
lives were lost in World War I as in World War II.
Hambledon's numbers are 33
and 8. It is interesting to note that in Denmead there are 23 names on the
1914-1918 plate and 26 names on the 1939-1945 one reminding us that Denmead's
population grew between 1918 and 1945 by a factor of about four - explaining the
need to extend the Church in 1996. In the south wall the window closest to the
Screen, depicting Joseph and Mary, commemorates John Wilkinson, a farmer of Pear
Tree Cottage, Hambledon Road, and an early Church Warden who died in 1911. This
window and the Thomas Taylor window are signed and dated by Clayton & Bell,
whilst their other work is unsigned.
North windows of the Extension - This
stained glass has been designed by Alan Younger. The theme of the whole
design is the Trinity. The small top window was given in memory of
parishioner Derek Woodland and represents God the Father, with the central
circle illustrating eternity. The right-hand window depicts God the Son,
and shows Christ on the Cross, with six stars representing six of the
twelve apostles. The left-hand window represents God the Holy Spirit, and
shows a descending dove and the other six stars for the other six
Apostles. A fuller description of these windows will be found at the back
of the Church.
The brasses in the original nave have all been re-installed in their original
positions except the one in the centre of the west wall, to Sir William Pink,
one of the first Churchwardens. This memorial was originally on the north wall,
which has been demolished. The other memorials are self-explanatory. Just inside
the Chapel screen on the left are two plates recording the donation of the
present bell which replaced two smaller bells in the original bell-cot, in
memory of Captain & Mrs De Pass of Forest Gate. A full catalogue of all the
memorials in the church and the village Burial Ground. which they manage, has
been prepared by Denmead Parish Council.
Sacred to the memory
Sir William Pink
of Shrover Hall
Who Died 12th Jan 1906
Aged 76 years
This table was erected as a mark
of esteeem and affection by his
Chapel of Healing and Unity
This was the original Chancel of the 1880 church, and has been retained largely
as it was, with the original Choir stalls. On the right-hand wall between the
windows hangs the Denmead Covenant, agreed in 1985 between the Baptist, Roman
Catholic and Church of England communities in the village, and renewed annually.
To the right of the Altar is an icon painted in 1988 by Elizabeth Reyntiens in
memory of Mabel Bowen Jones and her son Robert Bowen Jones. It represents the
story - in St John 5 - of Christ Healing at the Pool of Bethesda. On the wall
just to its right is a ceramic tile which is a souvenir of the First Assembly of
the World Council of Churches in Amsterdam in 1948. This was given to Canon John
Herklots, Vicar of Denmead from 1972 - 1997 by his father. Canon HGG Herklots,
who wrote the preparatory book for the UK before that first meeting, and was
also the Times Correspondent there. This tile and the Denmead Covenant represent
elements of Unity in the Chapel, whilst the Icon represents the Church's Healing
To the north of the Chapel of Healing and Unity are two Vestries which have been
created in the space previously occupied by the organ. The Vicar's Vestry is
upstairs and the Choir Vestry downstairs.
The new Sanctuary area
In the north wall, to the right of the Altar Dais, can be seen a small stone
inscribed with Arabic characters. The inscription says Beitin. This is the
Arabic name of Bethel, the Hebrew word meaning House of God', which Jacob gave
to the place where he had his dream of a ladder from Earth to Heaven. The full
story is told in Genesis 28. On a visit to Palestine in 1954, Canon John
Herklots, Vicar of Denmead from 1972 to 1997, met Stewart Perowne, a well known
author and expert on the Holy Land, who took him to Bethel where Canon John
picked up this stone. Mr Perowne was working with refilgees at that stage, and
knew a refugee stonemason, who shaped it and carved the Arabic inscription. It
has been displayed frequently in recent years, and particularly when prayers
have been said for the extension project. In 1997 it was blessed by the Bishop
of Portsmouth as the Consecration Cross of the extended All Saints'.
The sanctuary furniture and the Cross on the North wall are by Graham Laird, who
has been designing and making fine furniture for nearly thirty years. He was
taught by Robert Ingham, principal of Parnham College (formerly The John
Makepeace School of Craftsmen In Wood). Previous commissions have included work
for more than twenty other churches. The Altar Dais has been bought with
donations from couples who have been married in All Saints' in recent years.
Music in All Saints
The original pipe organ, which was second-hand in 1888 when it was installed,
was condemned some years ago and was removed and scrapped before building work
started on the extension in 1996. Many of the original pipes were sold as
souvenirs and there was also a new crop of bird boxes in Denmead in the next
spring, made from old organ pipes!
A replacement pipe organ, a redundant instrument
built in 1888 by Thomas Hill - was identified in St Scholastics Abbey at
Teignmouth in South Devon. This was acquired, and placed in storage
pending installation at AH Saints1. In August 1998 a fire at the storage
repository destroyed that organ, and the search for a suitable replacement
was resumed. Early in 1999 the present organ was located at All Saints'
Methodist Church in Leicester, which had closed some months earlier. This
organ was thoroughly restored and installed in Denmead during the Summer
of that year, with an Inaugural Concert performed by Dr William McVicker
on 3 October 1999. The full story of Denmead's Organs can be found in a
separate booklet available in the Church.
Outside the Church
The new Foundation Stone is in the north wall. The text on the stone was written
by Ramon Lull who lived from 1232 to 1316. He was a remarkable man. After a
dissolute life as a courtier, he was converted and devoted his life to Christ.
He wrote many books and travelled widely. He pressed the church of his day to be
a missionary church. Our text is taken from his book The Tree of Low. It has
been chosen because it says we have built the extension for the love of Christ
(the Beloved); and that we intend to make him better known in Denmead and in his
world; we intend to serve him by the way we live our lives; we intend to honour
him in our worship; and above all we love him and wish all people so to do.
Ramon Lull came from Majorca. His great vision came to him in a cave on Mount
Randa on that island. A small piece of stone from that cave has been inserted in
the pointing at the top right-hand corner of the Foundation Stone. The stone
also carries the design of a radiant cross which has been used on church
publicity material since the launch of the Appeal for funds for the Extension of
the Church and Church Hall on All Saints'Day 1993.
Reproduced with kind permission
of Rev Andrew Ashdown, Vicar.
Revised December 2001.
©All Saints' Denmead