|The Caundles with Bishops Purse and Stourton|
Bishop Caundle is the home of the Dorset Poet William Barnes who wrote in the the Dorset dialect and is in the northern part of the county and where he penned Bishops Caundle, a long poem but a section is below
'At Peace day,
who but we should goo
Bishops Caundle church seems to tower above the rest of the village and the name goes back to the days of King Arthur as the name Caundle was Celtic and was given to the hills overlooking the county of Somerset. In the Domesday Survey it was written as Candel but this was changed to Caundel Episcopi during the 13th century.
Caundle Marsh is situated about four miles south east of Sherborne with its church dedicated to St Peter and St Paul was built in 1857 but its records go back to 1667. Here there was a charity of £1 which had to distributed evenly to five poor men so each received 4 shillings each.
Purse Caundle Here can be found a manor house and a church the latter comes from the 15th century and both stand in the centre of the village. In 1241 the village was known as Purscaundel and Purse was derived from the Old English word for priest.
Peter Mews was an undergraduate and soldier of King Charles during the Civil War and it was here that he lived. He was taken prisoner by the parliamentarians and escaped and also suffered many wounds in the battles and he later became a Royalist agent in Holland and at one time he was nearly hung. But he survived all this and was ordained into the church where later in 1684 he became the Bishop of Winchester. It was when Monmouth began his revolt that Mews decided to return to the conflict and the old bishop eventually died at the age of 91.
Stourton Caundle in a field there is a castle named Hithe Paradise and the name comes from the village stream that meanders past mainly thatched cottages and the village gets its name from the Stourton family that lived in the castle which now has only its chapel remaining and this has now become a farm.