|Lying eight miles northeast from Dorchester is the
village of Cheselbourne which is reached via a narrow lane that has a
stream running alongside it.
The church built in 1295 is dedicated to St Martin is on a slope that had to be levelled off especially for the church to be built. A preaching cross can be found by the doorway and the records show that a plague pit was here in which to put the bodies of people killed by the Black Death. The tower was built about 500 years ago and there are sundials carved on the walls