Fordington is a suburb of Dorchester though it is a village in its own right, the high street runs off the lower end of Dorchester's High Street, but Fordingtons is much quieter and still has that village feel about it. Once it encompassed Dorchester to the north east and west and the Dorset History Centre was built on the old Fordington Barracks.
The church is dedicated to St George and was built in the 15th century, it dominates the parish and over the south porch there is a Norman Tympanumy which depicts St George leading the Crusaders to a victory at the Battle of Dorylaeum in 1098.
The famous Romana Stone bears the inscription
'To Gaius Aristobulus, a Roman Citizen, aged 50. Rufinus and Marina and Avita his children. Erected by Romana his wife.'
The Fordington Churchyard has the remains of British Soldiers along side German prisoners of war and also a memorial in memory of Thomas Warr a man from here who took part in the Charge of the Light Brigade.