|This little village lies in an area of
outstanding natural beauty at the foot of Bulbarrow Hill, and to get to
the church is quite a climb of over 50 steps! But the views of the Vale
of Blackmore at the top are beautiful, and well worth it. The village
has some lovely thatched cottages as well. There are traces of strip
lynchets and round barrows on the surrounding hills
Ibberton seems to be such a strange name but it is recorded as Abristentaona in the Domesday Survey, then Ebrictinton and Edbrichton. It was here that the Saxon Eadbeorht set up his home on the hillside along with his followers they did not know that earlier people had been here and this was where Early Britons trod over 800 feet above the sea, and today there is a picnic site here which was the first one in Dorset and one of six in Britain approved by the Countryside Commission.
The simple 15th century church is dedicated to St Eustace and comes under the diocese of Salisbury and fragments of Tudor stained glass can be found in two of the windows and a rare copy of the Homiles that was publisehd in 1673 is one of its treasures. The village pub is the Crown Inn, and there are several listed buildings which include a manor house built in the 17th century which is now a working farm.
Stashey's Well around 1905 was channelled and buried to feed the reservoir at Sturminster Newton and the spring where it originates is on private land but the overlow runs down a gully next to the Crown Inn and it is said that as the villages is at the bottom of a rather steep hill some of the villagers who live on the hill slopes still use the chalk springs as their main water supply.