|On the peaceful banks of the River Frome in the heart
of the Great Heath in a little cottage at Clouds Hill lived T. E.
Lawrence or Lawrence of Arabia as he was better know. This was the place
he decided to retire here and brought this peaceful little village into
When Lawrence in 1923 rented the cottage it was derelict and he set to with vigour repairing as much as he could with the help of Pioneer Sergeant Knowles modified the window in the Book Room. Lawrence was in the Tank Corps and only a private and stationed at Bovington camp and he wanted a place to revise his "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" and when repairing the cottage he added some simple furnishings, he did not in fact live there at first but when he was off duty he spent time there relaxing.
Later in 1925 after joining the Air Force he bought the cottage and on his discharge in 1935 he retired there permanently. And sadly on the 13th May 1935 he was thrown from his motorcycle while returning home and died six days later in hospital.This rather mysterious man was then laid to rest at Moreton churchyard and his simple headstone was carved by Eric Kennington and there is a reclining figure of Lawrence in his Arab costume with his head on a saddle, also built by Kennington in Wareham church.
The church suffered damage in WWII when a German bomb fell on e village and the north wall was partially demolished.
The manor house is the family seat of the Framptons but it is the tiny cottage of Lawrence that brings people here when we visited back in the 1970s a fire was lit in the hearth and the smell of woodsmoke drifted through the trees make it a magical place