|An early landowner here was Robertson of
Payn and he fought against Henry III at Lewes and was one of the kings
captors. Payne and another man called Govis are said to have 'borrowed'
the Kings seal and forged a document which they sealed which released them
from paying any estate dues.
It is classed as one of the counties
most attractive villages with its timber framed cottages that have
been built from bricks that were made in the local area and the
villagers are so proud of their village they have had all the
overhead cables removed and 25 of its 18th century buildings listed.
It was in 1966 that a good section of
the village was put up for auction to the sum of £166,000 but the
local people were first offered the properties as was laid
down by the late Captain George Pitt-Rivers who was the original
Described as the heart of the village
is The Cross and next to the school a tiny fire engine, was
preserved and put into a special shelter at the museum and is a hand
operated appliance from 1809 and was more than likely last used at
the school fire i 1942, It was housed at Farnham Museum and later
returned here and next to it is an old funeral bier which was once
in regular use.
Recently an old hand cranked siren
that was acquired from the Home Office in 1993 and was for many
years kept by the postmaster at Ye Olde Bell Stores or the Post
Office cum shop.
Even the telephone kiosk which stand
next to the museum has been painted green in the livery of the
Pitt-Rivers Estate, while opposite the Post Office are what remains
of an old mediaeval cross that is thought to date back to the 14th
century and all that remains today are the base and a second step.
Some of the old houses here are
thatched and they are a favourite with visiting artists, Many of
them as stated above are listed buildings and are protected as is
the High Pavement that is in front of he Old Rectory. The old
village prison can still be traced as set in the wall of No75 The
Cross is the door complete with a narrow barred window and nearby
can be found all that remains of five public houses that use to
serve the village, The Royal Oak
Shillingstone used to be called
Shilling Okeford and it is said that it contributed one shilling
towards the upkeep of a child who was adopted at Child Okeford
but Okeford Fitzpaine only donated 5d. The name of Fitzpain came
from the family who were Lords of the Manor in the 14th century.
The church is dedicated to St Andrew and
stands on a mound overlooking the rectory and has bits that date from the
14th century but most of it was rebuilt by the Victorians in 1866 and
parts of the old church were used as well, the rectory having been built
in the 18th century