Pilsdon is a tiny village 6 miles north of Bridport and 7 miles southwest of Crewkerne and has the small St Mary's as its parish church, it was practically completely rebuilt in 1830 , and it has a small western turret with one bell.
In the village is the house were Sir Hugh Wyndham who was a Royalist Judge, lived and parliamentarian troops raided it thinking that the King was hiding there, but he was in fact hiding at Sir Hugh's nephews house in Trent.
But the most famous part of Pilsdon is Pilsdon Pen which is the highest hill in the country at 909 ft and is crowned with and Iron Age fort that was abandoned after the Romans came. This area is a great favourite with walkers and give an insight into the Tors of Devon. Nearby is Lewesdon Hill rounded and green and they both give views of the English Channel.
The hill fort was excavated in the 1960s and late Iron Age huts were discovered and parts of a mediaeval rabbit warren. Inside are pillow mounds which were built for the rabbits to breed in and in the centre is a square earthwork which is also thought to be part of the warren.
Racedown Farm lies nearby and it is here that William Wordsworth first began to take writing as serious and Pilsdon Pen consoled Dorothy his sister who longed for here Lakeland Hills.