|This is a coastal parish that lies 6
miles southeast of Bridport the name of the village is pronounced
nothing like it is spelt and it has surprised quite a few people that it
is pronounce "Punnie", this is lovely village that has lots of stone
cottages and farm buildings and The Knoll is a steep rocky hill which is
set on the top of some scrubby downland., and has served as a landmark
to semen for centuries. The other side of the Knoll is Bride Valley.
The church is dedicated to St Mary and built of Early English Style and the short tower has been added during the 19th century.
The rebuilding of the tower was paid for by Robert Napier who lived in the Manor House and on the tower arch there is 1678 marked and the door has RN made by nails. There is a 17th century Greek monuments and the font which is dated from the 12th century is sitting on the top of another of the same date. The churchyard has a 15th century cross which originally stood in the village.
The manor house is 19th century but the front wing is from 1650 and has a lovely porch, Henry Shrapnell who invented the shell that disintegrated into pieces lived here for a while and the Dorset Dialect poet William Barns use to call on him and often helped out with the calculations.