The parish of Toller Porcorum has been known as Great Toller and includes Higher and Lower Kingcombe. It stands on a tributary of the River Frome and lies 10 miles west of Dorchester. The church is dedicated to St Andrew and St Peter and once had two galleries one of which was built specifically for school children but they were taken down in 1895 during restoration.
It is a rather odd name for a village but another name for the parish was Swine's Toller, and Swynestoire or Hostoire, which derived from the toller of the pigs.
Eggardon Hill stands to the west and there was an Iron Age fort here and also it was home to the Romans in 43AD. Evidence has shown that a settlement was here long before this and the church has a font which is even older still and was once part of a Roman altar.
Over the centuries the village has tried considerably to stop new housing springing up and the school which was built in 1772 was closed down in 1980.