|Wyke Regis is a parish and a village of
the same name and lies in a valley facing southwest and is now a
part of Weymouth. It has some lovely views of the Isle of Portland and
The church is dedicated to All Saints and is built in the Gothic Style with a tower that is 261 feet above sea level and for many years it served as a navigational aid to ships plying the English Channel.
The churchyard has several monuments commemorating those who have lost their lives at sea and a new burial ground was bought in 1888.
Belfield House is a notable residence that commands a fine outlook and in 1880 the Port of Weymouth Sanitary Authority decided to build a hospital to house 50 patients.
Today mention Exocet, Sam, Cruise and Polaris and we think of some of the most fearsome weapons of modern warfare, but the most lethal weapon of both world wars was made here at Wyke Regis the torpedo and they were made in a factory here near the end of the 19th century that employed around 400 people.
Unarmed Whitehead torpedoes were launced off of the breakwater at Bincleaves and passed under a row of platforms that had men on them who waved a red flag when they passed underneath. A second firing station was across Weymouth Bay and there were quite a few torpedoes going out of control and causing havoc among the local boats!
Within the parish of Wyke Regis is Westham a suburb of Weymouth, and a chapel of ease was here in 1880 and St Paul's church ws built in 1895.
Old Wyke is in a small valley whereas today Wyke is a large dormitory of Weymouth with its housing spreading all around.
The troopships Venus, Piedmont and Catherine were wrecked in November 1795 and 200 soldiers were buried along Chesil Beach and 27 in the churchyards at Wyke. A mass grave of 140 passengers and crew from the East Indiaman, Alexander, she was wrecked in 1815 and when the Earl of Abergavenny whose captain was the brother of William Wordsworth foundered in the Shambles in 1805, 80 0f the 300 souls were buried here.