St Olave's church
Photo reproduced by courtesy of
On the road to Chillerton, Chale and
the south of the island and a mile south of Newport lies the
village of Gatcombe and the famous Gatcombe park (famous for its
Jazz Festivals). Gatcombe is only a small village and there are
some lovely countryside and the downs which make up some beautiful
The village is listed in the Domesday Survey of
1086 and has had links with Chillerton which is also
mentioned, for a very long time.
Sadly for the villagers there is no village pub
but Verandah Villa a private house now was once an ale house.
The church was built in the 13th century by the
Estur family as a chapel to Gatcombe Manor and it was partially
rebuilt in 1750 by the Worsley's who owned it at that time. It
nestles in the park below the 539 ft New Barn Down.
Inside is a monument to a hero, Charles Grant
Seely who was wounded three times but still continued to
courageously lead his men on the Turkish stronghold of Gasa, but
he eventually died of his wounds in 1917. The monument is the last
sculpture by Sir Thomas Brock who is regarded as one of the
countries best. Charles Seely was a brave man and is buried at