At the time of
the Domesday Survey, 1086, Greywell formed part of the
Manor of Odiham and it is thought that the Chapel of St. Mary at
situated beside the Whitewater river is one of the two churches
Manor of Odiham mentioned in the Survey,
The church is of Norman origin. Here
is a Norman north door which is now the only entrance, but there
is also a bricked up Norman, south door. The walls of the nave
and tower are late twelfth century.
The narrow thirteenth century Early English chancel-arch is a
prominent feature of the church. It divides the rebuilt chancel
of 1870 very distinctly from the rest of the building.
The tower arch and the more westerly of the windows on the south
wall are thirteenth century, but the larger window is a later
insertion of Perpendicular times. The attractive lead lined font
is fifteenth century.
Perhaps the most remarkable feature of the
church is the rood screen, loft and turret-stairs leading to it, which
date from about the year 1500. When the Reformation came the loft was used
as a gallery for men and this use continued until 1870. Then, as part of
restoration work, the rood was removed and the height of the screen was
raised by means of a stone base so that the loft could no longer be
reached by means of the turret stairs.
(Photos kindly contributed by John
At present a fine Hanoverian Coat of Arms dated 1768 occupies the
place of the rood. A. detailed heraldic description of these Arms
is given on a notice fixed just inside the church door.
On the stonework to the left at the outside of this door there
still remain visible several consecration crosses dating back to
the period of the Crusades to the Holy Land.
There are four bells. Three of them have inscriptions:-
Tenor bell: which is rung as the two minute bell before each
service -HENRY KNIGHT MADE MB 1662.
Medium bell: FEARlE GOD.
Small bell: N AC MAN RUC OR GBAS VB.
Prayer bell: No inscription
The treasures of the church include:
A beautiful Elizabethan I chalice dated 1567.
An old register recording births, marriages and deaths from 1604
An account book for 1779.The Banns Book begun in 1828 and is now
held at the Hampshire Record Office.
Greywell was united with Odiham until 1901 when it became a
separate ecclesiastical pariah. Beside the turret stairs door
there is a list of the vicars of Odiham with Greywell from 1309
to l89l. Church Cottage beside the lych gate is believed to have
been originally the priests' lodgings. Parts of the cottage are
of medieval construction.