|ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
Until 1886 Hythe was part of the parish of Fawley and much of the land was owned by the Drummond Family of Cadland Estate in Fawley, In 1823 it was decided to build a small chapel here to seat 250 people and the first curate was the Rev the Honourable Augustus Irby.
During the Victorian era Hythe became a fashionable area for summer residences and a ring of large houses was built as the homes of well to do sportsmen and yachtsmen. The population was then 700 and growing slowly. The Rev J Marriott made plans for a larger church and the present building was consecrated in 1874. Hythe became an ecclesiastical Parish in its own right in 1886.
The beautiful East window has, as its central scenes the nativity with Kings and Shepherds. Above that is the Crucifixion with The Virgin Mary to one side and St John the Evangelist on the other and below it the Annunciation.
On the left, Elizabeth is seen alone and with the Virgin Mary and on the right John the Baptist is depicted both alone and baptising Jesus.
In the North wall of the sanctuary is the St Cecilia
window in memory of Ruby Sedgewick. St Cecilia is the patron saint of musicians.
It was dedicated by the Bishop of Southampton in 1925, In the south wall of the
sanctuary is a
Other windows in the Choir represent St John. the Baptist
and there is a beautiful new window in the east wall above the Vestry depicting
the Lamb of God.