|Histories of the Isle of Wight Churches|
The present Church, erected in 1835. is on an ancient site. Little of any certainty is known of the previous buildings except that the original foundation is almost as old as Calbourne. The original dedication was to St Mary Magdalene (see Transactions of the Hampshire Field Club). Later the dedication was changed to the Holy Ghost (and still is according to the Ordnance Survey and Official records) but more recently it has changed again to Holy Spirit. A print of the building prior to the present one, and a roll of the early Vicars can be seen inside. The churchmanship was once high and traces of this can still be seen. The Altar Cross carries the Crucified Christ and some statues (there were more) are still to be seen.
The Church stands between two of the old Franchville Streets one now Just a grass covered road.