No1 New Zealand General Hospital, Brockenhurst

These pages are dedicated to those who served in the No.1 NZ Gen Hospital at Brockenhurst and to those who lost their lives

       
"Semper Agens - Semper Quietus"

While this section is mainly about No1 (NZ) General Hospital during World War I, during WWII the Hospital was again mobilised and with other units it set off in May 1940 for what was thought at the time would be the Middle East.

However when off of Freemantle, Western Australia a message was received diverting it to the UK via Capetown, the reason being is that Italy had entered the way and it was believed to be best to avoid the Middle East.

 
ANZAC day 2005 the local council erected this plaque to mark the site where the hospital once stood, as can be seen
21,000 wounded members of the NZ Expeditionary Force in France were treated here

No1 (Gen) Hospital was back in the UK for its second visit along with 5 Field Ambulance and No1 1 NZ Convalescent Depot. On first arriving in the UK they were stationed at Ewshot Camp Surrey. Here was the base for the NZ Medical Corps during WWI and all the ex-servicemen will remember this camp with great delight. A lot of the medical staff from the WWI NZMC Depot underwent extra and extremely intensive training at the old Cambridge Military Hospital at Aldershot.

No1 (Gen) Hospital again moved, this time about 10 miles up to road to the Pinewood Sanatorium  near Wokingham. It remained here until being shipped out to its original destination, the Middle East in October 1940 and during this time it was visited by King George and later by Queen Elizabeth. The king attended a review parade given by the nursing staff at Mytchet.

It was during the height of the Battle of Britain that one of the many tasks carried out by No1 (NZ) Gen Hosp, was the dispatching of a mobile surgical team on 4th Sept 1940 to the nearby Vickers Aircraft Factory at Weybridge, which had suffered serious damage during an air raid.

At this time Winston Churchill had requested that the New Zealand authorities keep the Medical Units in the UK until the threat of the Battle of Britain had passed.

Some of the senior staff of the hospital had been with the unit when it was located at Brockenhurst.

Army Medical Services Museum, Keogh Barracks, Mytchet Place Rd., MYTCHET, Surrey
This Museum, which is free to visitors, holds an extensive collection of historical items of the Royal Army Medical Corps, Queen Alexandra's Royal Arrmy Nursing Corps, the Royal Army Veterinary Corps and the Royal Army Dental Corps. It has many items of interest for the genealogist and the general visitor alike.
 

MAIN INDEX
THE ROLL OF HONOUR commemorating those that died at the hospital
General Hospital nostalgia photos etc
Hospital Staff. List of people that worked there
A New Zealand soldiers diary excerpts from the diary of a soldier
Hospital Photo gallery photos of staff and the hospital buildings
A DOCTORS STORY excerpts from the book
The Indian & New Zealand Army in Brockenhurst

NEW ZEALANDERS REMEMBERED Anzac Day 2002 Brockenhurst
SOLDIERS POETRY a selection of poems believed to have been written by one of the patients at the hospital.
NURSE ELVIE JANE KIDD a member of staff at the Hospital
A project is underway to record the war graves
of all New Zealand servicemen and women.
You can find the website by clicking below
New Zealand Armed Forces Memorial Project
No.2 New Zealand General Hospital
Walton-on-Thames
Another website with information and photographs etc on the No2 NZ (GEN) Hospital
    No.3 New Zealand General Hospital  

Codford, Wiltshire

A general view of the NZ Training camp at Codford

Codford Hospital was taken over by the New Zealand authorities shortly after Brockenhurst This hospital
was to be named No. 3 N.Z. General Hospital
Its situation in the A36 between Salisbury and Warminster, not far from the training camps, where the New Zealand
Depot of 2,500 men were stationed, enabled it to afford accommodation  for the sick from Codford Camp just
opposite, and Sling Camp a few miles away by road. As the New Zealand  Command Depot at Codford accommodated
2,500 men it was obvious that a hospital in the immediate vicinity was required.
This hospital was nearly as completely equipped as its sister institutions, but obviously the cases received
were not, for the most part, as serious as those admitted from France to Walton-on-Thames, or Brockenhurst.
Certainly many bad medical cases gained admission and occasionally surgical ones.
As it was for these men, the badly wounded from France were not treated here.
Sister Nixon, and later Sister McNie, were in charge. Colonel McLean, and later Colonel Buchanan, in command.'
as No. 3 New Zealand General Hospital.

The Codford area has had a long history with Anzac soldiers, during World War I large training
and transfer camps were established for the tens of thousands of troops waiting to move to France. Codford
also became a depot in 1916 for the men who had been evacuated from the front line and were not fit to return to the front.

Army Training Camp at Codford, Wiltshire, England 1917Codford's 'Anzac Badge' was the idea of an Australian Brigade
Commander during the Great War of 1914-1918 who wished to leave a visible memento behind his brigade when it
departed. This consists of a gigantic Rising Sun badge (measuring 53 x 45 metres), carved into the grass of 'Misery
Hill' (exposing the underlying bright white chalk) in 1916.

The soldiers of 13 Trg Bn AIF who maintained the badge as a form of punishment named the site 'Misery Hill'
The meticulously maintained war cemetery nearby is the second largest in the UK and contains the graves of 97
Anzac troops, 66 New Zealanders &31Australians plus 1 Welsh Guardsman from WWIIThe effect of two World Wars
still resonates in the local community and there is still a sense of welcoming towards Australians and New Zealanders.
Codford villagers hold a remembrance ceremony on 25th April [Anzac Day] at 6.30am each year.

The Australian Rising Sun Badge and the War Cemetery are now the only visible reminders of a period when hundreds
of troops from Britain, Australia and New Zealand were stationed in and around Codford.