|The old Parish of Ovington which stands about seven
miles outside of Winchester and to the south of Itchen Stoke got is name
Ofinetune which is Saxon for 'the place above' was mentioned twice in
the Domesday Book, firstly as being in the hands of the bishop and
secondly as being held by St Mary's Abbey at Winchester. What this
possibly means is, it was held by St Mary's from the bishop as the land
had been formerly held by Archbishop Stigand.
The revenues from the Manor supported the nuns of St Mary's up til 1284 and it was then bought by the monks of St Swithun's Priory. here it stayed until the dissolution when it was transferred to the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral. When Baroness van Zandt came into conflict with the Bishop of Winchester between 1855 and 1859 the manorial rights were in dispute but the estate passed to the Hewson's in the 1860s.
The first record of any church here was in 1284 in which the King gave up the Advowson of the church to John Bishop of Winchester.
It was in 1922 that the parishes of Itchen Stoke and Ovington joined together, and St Mary's church at Itchenstoke is under the care of the Redundant Churches Fund and the parishes are served with St Peters.
Farming is popular around this area but here they do the unusual. Ner to the Winchester to Alresford road thre are two farms one of which keeps colourful birds, zebras and llamas can be seen grazing in the nearby farm!