Shedfield used to be part of the parish of
Droxford, some 5 miles to the Northeast. In 1829 a chapel was built for the
villagers about 100 yards to the north of this church.
When the chapel eventually became too small and the roof leaked,
it was demolished but its bell tower remains and has recently
been repaired and refurbished as a bat haven.
The present church, St. John's, was designed by John Colson.
Frederick Townsend, who gave the first £1000 to the building
fund on condition that the stonework should not be painted
inside, laid its foundation stone in 1875. The variously coloured bricks and Bath Stone dressings have
been used most effectively and are a monument to the art of
masonry. The font from the chapel was moved to the new church.
The church was consecrated on 20th March 1880, before it was
completely finished. In 1884 a transept, which formed an organ
chamber was built, and an organ was bought the following year. In
1887 money was given for the tower to be constructed. The parishioners gave a clock,
which is 49.5" in diameter and three hundred people watched
it being installed in March 1891. Six bells were hung, and a
further two in 1941. The north aisle was completed in 1895 and then the north porch. A spire
envisaged by the architect was never built.
Several memorials have been added. Among these are the east
window in 1898, the lovely marble pavement in the choir and choir
stalls in 1903, the font canopy and delicately carved reredos in
1905, and the chancel screen in 1921. The beautiful stained glass
windows were made by Hardman, and by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
A recent addition, on the north wall, is the Millennium
Embroidery depicting life and features of the three villages
forming the parish. Improvements are in hand to the interior
lighting and there are plans for an extension for meetings and other essentials for modem church life.