Taken from Kelly's 1914 -1915
South Stoneham is a fertile parish that is
situated on both sides of the Itchen Valley, and extends 5 to 6 miles
north and east-north-east from Southampton and includes Bevois Valley
and Portswood on the western of the river.
It also reaches down the east side of the Itchen, near Northam Bridge
and is in the Southern division of the county, union of its own name,
Mansbridge hundred, petty sessional division, county court district
and rural deanery of Southampton and archdeaconry and diocese of
The parish has no village of its own name, the church and two or three
adjacent houses being situted near the village of Swaythling, which is
mostly in this parish but partly in the parish of North Stoneham, and
is situated on the western bank of the River Itchen with a station on
the London and South Western Railway.
South Stoneham parish contains part of the village of Swaythling and
tithings of Allington, Barton, Pollock, Shamblehurst and Portswood,
the latter being in the borough of Southampton and now forms part of
The church of St Mary, at Swaythling, bearing date of register 1663,
is a small and ancient building of stone built in the Early English
style and consists of chancel, nave, transepts and an embattled
western tower that contains 3 bells.The church holds 340 sittings.
In the chancel there is a curious memorial to Edmond Clerke, who was
clerk to His Majestie's Privy Seal and died in 1632. It represents him
and his wife kneeling face to face with a desk between them, under a
canopy. Below they are again represented in the same position with the
sons kneeling behind the father, and daughters behind the mother, but
unfortunately some of the figures have
The living is a vicarage, yearly value from tithe rent-charge £420,
average £379, net income £289, with 20 acres of glebe and residence in
the gift of the rector of St Mary, Southampton, and held since 1892 by
the Rev John Duguid Paton B.A. of St Edmund Hall, Oxford.
A burial ground for this parish was opened in 1904, and contains about
5 acres. The Public Hall here was erected by the late Sir Samuel
Montague bart (afterwards Lord Swaythling) who died in 1911, and
contains reading, recreation and billiard rooms.
The charities amount to £18 10s 4d. yearly, derived from benefactions
in 1680 by Mr James Serle of Allington, in 1689 by the Rev John Dummer,
rector of Hardwick, Bucks, by Mrs Crabbe, of Highfield, Charles Twynam,
of Portswood, and by George Alexander Fullerton esq. of Westwood, who,
in 1847 gave £360 in 3 per cent. Consols. The parochial charities of
the ancient parish of South Stoneham are now administered by trustees,
appointed by the daughter parishes, viz.: Hedgend, Westend and
Bitterne. In addition to the one appointed by the Parish Council of
South Stoneham House, the property and residence of Ellen, Lady
Swaythling, is a mansion of red brick with stone dressings,
built during the reign of Queen Anne, and is pleasantly seated in
grounds 110 acres in extent with 5 acres of water. Tankerville
Chamberlayne esq. B.A. of Cranbury Park, Winchester, the trustees of
the late Thomas Willis-Fleming esq. Col. Frank Willan J.P. of Burley
Manor, Ringwood, Messrs. John Gater & Co., Ellen, Lady Swaythling, of
South Stoneham House, Miss Covey and Queen's College Oxford, are
the principal landowners.
The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The soil is sandy;
subsoil, gravel and clay. The area is 1,296 acres, 26 of water, 4 of
tidal water and 1 of foreshore; the population in 1911 was 4,679;
rateable value £9,937.