|St. Andrew's Church,
The history of St. Andrew's and the manor of South Warnborough are closely connected. At the Norman Conquest, William the Conqueror granted the manor of Wergeborne (South Warnborough) to one of his great Norman barons, Hugh Fitzbaldric. Hugh gave the manor and the living of St. Andrew's Church which went with it, to his daughter on her marriage to Guy de Craon. Their son Alan, grandson Maurice and great-grandson Guy continued as lords of the manor but the living of St Andrew's, with land and woods, was granted by Alan to Freiston Priory, a sub-cell of the renowned Crowland Abbey in Lincolnshire, in which county the de Craons also had lands.
Up to the Reformation the rector of South Warnborough paid £4 a year to Freiston as a share of the tithes of the parish. The de Craons and later the de Longchamps and de Penwardy families into which they married, remained at South Warnborough until the 15th century when their place was taken by Robert Whyte, a former wool merchant and Mayor of the Staple. He and his descendants became important landowners, in particular taking advantage of the Dissolution of the Monasteries, (Freiston and Crowland included) in Henry VIII's reign.
The Whytes, whose heraldic device of 3 popinjays is much in evidence in the church, sold the manor in 1636 to Richard Bishop of London and in the 18th century it passed to another Londoner, Robert Graham. The sole Graham heiress Barbara, made a Jane Austen-style runaway marriage to a Captain Harrison Wayne, stationed with the 10th Foot at Farnham. The Harrison Waynes then came to live at the manor.
One of the outstanding features of the church is the 15th century rood screen, a rare survival and now in its original position though there was a time when it was used under the belfry where it formed a gallery. Its supporting arches are of a later date.
On either side of the East window are image brackets; the left one is quite plain and carries a helm (helmet) with the Whyte crest; the bracket on the right is decorated with a band of foliage and bears the same Whyte arms as the tomb and is therefore of the same date, but the scutcheon set on it is late 16th century.
The wide, shallow recess on the left side of the chancel contains another large Whyte tomb. It is set under a four-centred arch with Tudor cresting above. It is possible that this recess was originally an Easter sepulchre. On its back wall there is a charming arrangement of kneeling figures; on either side of a prayer desk are Robert Whyte's grandson, Thomas, (died 1566) and his wife Agnes (died 1570) and 14 sons and 6 daughters behind them. The children who died before their parents hold skulls in their hands. Part of the accompanying inscription reads "Thomas and Agnes dye unto God and Saye: we hope to see the goodness of God in the land of Lyfe" and ends "God save the Queen"! Above is a small kneeling figure of Elizabeth Paulet, daughter of Sir Thomas and first wife of Lord Chidiock Paulet, third son of the Marquess of Winchester, in itself a sign of the eminence that the Whytes had reached by the 16th century. There is also a figure of Sir Thomas' son, Richard with his wife Ellen and their daughter Anne ( Philpott ) who died in 1597; the group is framed in coloured marbles. On the opposite wall is a late 16th century monument of Renaissance design, in direct contrast with Sir Thomas' late Gothic mediaeval style tomb. A wall monument itself was new in Elizabethan times. Each of the kneeling figures of the two Whyte brothers is set in an arched panel under a cornice carried on Corinthian columns. Such Renaissance designs were fashionable and show the Whyte brothers were "with it".
Although the South aisle was built in the 19th century, there is to the right of its altar an early 12th century volute capital and shaft possibly of the same date as the nave walls. The chief interest of the South aisle is in the 16th century heraldic glass. On the window behind the altar are represented the three feathers of Wales twice and the Tudor Rose once, probably for Prince Arthur, the elder brother of Henry VIII, and also the emblems of Katherine of Aragon who stayed at Dogmersfield when she first arrived in England to marry Arthur.
In the window to the right there are four panels. The top left hand is dated 1599 and shows the Whyte popinjays; the other three shields are encircled by garters and are from the first half of the 16th century; they include the quartered shield of Thomas Wriothesley, first earl of Southampton who had served with Sir Thomas Whyte on a Commission for disposing of Church plate at the Reformation; his grandson, the 3rd Earl, was the patron of the Elizabethan poets, and in particular of Shakespeare.